Important Tips to Remember While Driving in the Rain
When you’re on the road, safety should always be your top priority. We are all aware that driving in the rain is dangerous, tricky business, and more often quite inevitable. Rainy conditions are generally linked to higher chances of road accidents. Here are a few tips to remember while cruising in the rain to ensure safety and protection.
- Check your car equipment: Before you encounter rainy days, make sure all the hardware of your car or van is intact. Equipment/accessories include windshield wipers, headlights, tail lights, tires, and such. Remember to replace your bald tires with new ones from time to time as bald tires decrease traction on wet or slippery roads.
- Drive slow: Driving gradually is an essential tip to keep in mind. It’s advised that you drive slower than you usually would as rain effects visual clarity, and driving fast on a rainy day is simply asking for unnecessary trouble.
- Lookout for hydroplaning: Due to water on the road, if your tire loses traction, it’s called hydroplaning. In cases of hydroplaning, cars start to slide without any control. In such a scenario, let go of the accelerator and steer until you gain control again.
- Ventilate your car: Have you noticed that the glass in your vehicle becomes foggy when it’s pouring? This is because precipitation increases the level of humidity. Proper ventilation can clear the glass and windows of your car. At any point, if you’re not able to see the road due to foggy glass, pull over immediately.
- Be careful in merging roads: Merging roads are risky spots for road accidents. If you’re a motorist, stay extra careful when you approach merging lanes. Make sure to drive slow and honk as necessary.
- Keep your headlights on: Whether it’s raining heavily or only drizzling, turn your car’s lights on. Not only does this help you see the road better, but it also boosts visibility.
The streets of Cranbury, Princeton, and West Windsor can be hazardous in the rainy season. Now that you know what to keep in mind while driving in the rain, make sure to follow them without fail. A simple precaution can take you a long way.